Self-Financed Short Term Course On MATLAB based Optimization and Statistical Data
Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology (MNNIT), Allahabad
June 12th - 17th, 2015
Department of Mechanical Engineering of Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology, Allahabad organizedShort Term Course on “Matlab based Optimization and Statistical Data Processing” in technical association with “Mathworks” during 12th-17th June 2015. This course was designed to make participants fluent in MATLAB, including the two popular toolboxes namely Statistical and Optimization toolboxes. It consisted of interactive lectures with participants doing sample MATLAB problems in real time. Problem-based MATLAB assignments were also discussed with hands-on training by Math Works professionals. 55 participants from across the country participated in this informative workshop.
Mr. Sarvagya Tripathi, Assistant Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Mr. Amit Chauhan and Mr. Gaurav Siwal, Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Dronacharya Group of Institutions, Greater Noida participated in the workshop.
Day 1 : Session 1 Inaugration (12th June 2015)
Prof. R. K. Srivastava, Head, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Course Coordinators - Dr. Mukul Shukla and Dr. Samir Saraswati inaugurated the informative workshop. Dr. Mukul Shukla started with some contextual conversations. In this session, workshop goal, schedule, format, duration, session logistics and expectation from learner were described in detail.Prof. R. K. Srivastava welcome Mr. M.M Zafar and Mr. Vaibhav Saxena from “Designtech”.
Day1: Session 2 (Working with MATLAB User Interface, Variable and Expressions, M.M Zafar and Mr. Vaibhav Saxena)
M.M. Jafar started session with introduction of Designtech, various basic associated with MATLAB. Topic covered during the session were;
1. How to access or recognize a suitable function from function directory?
2. .p and .m file.
4. How to check algorithm behind any command.
5. Maximum memory available in workplace.
6. How to access array associated with any variable?
Day 1: Session 2 (“MATLAB and Visulization with Vectors, Analysis and Visualization with Matrices, Automating Commands with scripts ” by M.M Zafar and Mr. Vaibhav Saxena)
M.M Jafar continued this session with explanation of basic mathematics associated with matrices and types of data.
1. How to add vector and scalar data in MATLAB?
2. Row vector and column vector separation through the use of semi colon in MATLAB.
3. Methods to type data in the form of matrix in MATLAB.
4. Detail description of manipulating data.
5. Command to get number greater than a specific value in a matrix.
Day 2: Session 1 (“Optimization basics” by Dr. Mukul Shukla) 13th June 2015
The session started with introduction of basics of maxima and minima in differential calculus. Dr. Shukla enlightened the participants about optimization, following topics associated with optimization covered in detail;
1. Scope of optimization in field of science and technology.
2. Termination Criteria.
3. Unconstrained Unvariant optimization.
4. Optimization with constraints.
5. Classification of Optimization Problems.
6. Optimization methods.
Day 2: Session 2 (“MATLAB WORKING with Data files, Multiple Vector Plots, Logic and Flow Control” by M.M Zafar)
Main aim of this session was to inform the participants about the following-
1. How to import data
2. Concept of tree function
3. How to call data in tabular form
4. How to call data in different forms such as excel, .xls,.pdf etc.
5. How to generate script for a predefined function
6. Method of calling for a universal generate script
Day 2: Session 3 (“Neural Network” by Dr. Samir Saraswati)
Dr. Samir Saraswati from MNNIT enlightened the participant about one of Artificial Intelligence (AI) based on Optimization methods i.e. “Artificial Neural Network”.
1. Sample architecture
2. Learning rules for ANN
3. Sample error correcting algorithm
4. Basis for separation of layer i.e. outer and inner layer
5. Concept of single and multi-layer
6. Performance improve
Day 2: Session 4 (“Troubleshooting Code and Improving Performencs” by M.M.Zafar)
In this session troubleshooting code, which faces by user during MATLAB usage, were addressed by M. M. Jafar. Following topic covered during the session- Running programme in steps
1. Debugging the code
2. Sectioning the code
3. Rectifying the error
4. Plotting of 3D array
Day 3: Session 1 (“Neural Network Toolbox Of MATLAB” by Dr. Samir Saraswati) ) 14th June 2015
Dr. Samir Saraswati from MNNIT continued this session by giving a quick overview on previous theoretical lecture on ANN. Aim of this session was to familiarize the participants with Neural Network toolbox in MATLAB. In this session participants were introduced to:
1.Training concept and formulation
2. Validation or Generalization concept and formulation in MATLAB
3. Cross validation concept in Neural network
4. Over fitting of function
5. Concept of epoch
6. Concept of normalization of data
Day 3: Session 2 (“Genetic Algorithm” by Dr. Mukul Shukla) 14th June 2015
Following topic related to Genetic Algorithm (GA) were covered during the session;
1. Concept of survival of fittest.
2. Components Of GA for a particular problem
3. Genetic Operator
4. Optimization of a Single Variable Function by using Classical approach
5. Optimization of a Single Variable Function by using Genetic approach
6. Concept of Mutation, Crossover and Reproduction in Genetic approach.
Day 3: Session 3 (“Matlab - Data Type” by M. M. Zafar)
Following concepts were discussed during the session;
1. Concept of logical condition statement.
2. Concept of multidimensional array.
3. Programme used to identify length of function.
Day 3: Session 4 (“Matlab - Data Type” by M. M. Zafar)
In this session M.M Jafar guided participants about how to call excel and various type of file by using command. In this session each participants was assigned for a task to do programing of six questions within an hour.
Day 3: Session 5 (“Statics ” by Dr. Mukesh Kumar)
Dr. Mukesh Kumar from Department of Mathematics, MNNIT Allahabad initiated the session with the introduction of basics of statistical approach. The following key aspects were elaborated during the session –
1. Introduction and importance to Sampling.
2. Concept of probability in statics.
3. Testing of statistical decision.
4. Testing of Hypothesis decision.
5. Null and alternate method of testing.
Day 4: Session 1 (“Importing and Organizing Data, Exploring Data”)
This session started with brief introduction of Mr. Jayraj Lakshmanan and Mr. Vinod Thomas from “Mathworks”.
1. Introduction to basics of MATLB such as command window, workspace etc.
2. How to create a cell array.
3. Concept of column, row, element, matrix wise indexes.
4. Concept of Structure, Array.
5. Basics to read edit and import a table.
6. How to use MATLAB documentation
Day 5: Session 1 (“Statistical Method in MATLAB, Analyis of Variance, Regression” by Mr. Vinod Thomas)
The objective of this session were to;
1. Determine how likely an assertion about a data set is
2. Apply hypothesis tests for common uses
3. Determining confidence intervals for a sample mean.
4. Compare the sample means of multiple groups and to find statistically significant differences between groups.
Day 5: Session 2 (“Statistical Method in MATLAB , MULTIPLE DIMENSION, RANDOM VARIABLE & SIMULATION”) by (Mr. Vinod Thomas)
The objective of this session to familiarize the participants with techniques pertaining to;
1. Reducing the dimensionality of a data set
2. Perform classification of categorical responses
3. Use random numbers to evaluate the uncertainty or sensitivity of a model,
4. Perform simulations
5. Generate random numbers from various distributions,
DAY 6 (17 JUNE 2015):
Session 1 (9:00 AM – 1:00 PM)
“Matlab based optimization techniques running and optimization regression” Mr. Jayaraj Lakshmanan.
The following points were covered in this session;
1. Objective function.
2. Modeling an objective function for a practical example.
3. Bounds and constraints.
4. Lower bounds upper bounds.
5. Linear constraints and non-linear constraints.
6. Linear equality and non-linear equality constraints.
7. Linear non equality constraints non-linear non equality constraints.
8. Calling an optimization app in MATLAB.
9. Using optimtools command.
In valedictory program, HOD of Department Mechanical Engineering, Dr. Narain was invited as Chief Guest. Dr. Mukul Shukla thanked all on successful completion of the program. Participants also presented their views regarding the course. All the participants were given the participation certificates. Dr. Samir Saraswati delivered the Vote of Thanks.