"Scilab- Lecture Demonstration"
12th October, 2017
IIT Bombay, FOSSEE, Team organized a FREE, Online Lecture Demonstration – Scilab on 12th Oct, 2017. The demonstration was organized at Dronacharya Group of Institutions, Greater Noida through ICT. Seventeen Faculty Members from various institutes attended the session.
Introducing Scilab, Prof. Kannan Moudgalya, PI, Scilab Efforts, FOSSEE Project said that Scilab is a free and open source alternative to Matlab. Scilab is an easy to use and a powerful computing environment which has been endorsed by AICTE. During this demonstration, FOSSEE team explained how it is made available free of cost, Scilab code for 65,000 solved problems from more than 550 standard textbooks of science and engineering have been coded and is made available through Scilab Textbook Companion (TBC).
During the Face to Face Interaction Prof. Moudgalya highlighted the following topics:
- Locate the Scilab code already available for the textbook that you use in your curriculum
- Execute it on the cloud, with or without modifications
- Find out through examples how to make Scilab function calls
- How to set new problems for your assignments, quiz, labs, exams and so on
- How to do all of the above from your laptop or a smart phone
- How to migrate your labs to Scilab effortlessly
- Use some of the outstanding Scilab Toolboxes developed by the FOSSEE Team
Prof. Moudgalya motivated the participants to use Scilab and also informed that those who write Scilab code will be paid an honorarium of Rs. 12000 per TBC.
The session ended with the information from Prof. Maudgalya that interaction will be held on Tuesdays for those who would be facing any challenges in using Scilab.